Sunday, April 13, 2008

Best Bitter Brew Session

Well, I brewed about 10.5 gallons of best bitter yesterday. Everything went pretty well. I ended up hitting my target og of 1.050 right on the nose, and the yeast is already working, not even 12 hours later. I also took a few more pictures of my system and equipment. Here is a picture of the jsp maltmill that a coworker of mine lets me borrow and the resulting grist:



As you can see (I think), I hit my mash temp right on, although the mash was a little thin for some reason. I think I added a little more water than usual, but it didn't effect anything.

Anyway, I ran off about 12 gallons, boiled down to about 10.75, and chilled using a new immersion chiller. My old one froze this winter, bursting the copper in 3 places. No problem to fix right? I'll get a few 3/8" compression unions and be back in business. No dice, the copper swelled to about 7/16" so the compression unions didnt fit. Long story short, the local Ace was selling 25 feet of 3/8" tubing for $22, so I bought some and made a new chiller. Took about 35 minutes to cool the wort to 65 degrees, so I might need to speed that up somehow.

I aerated the wort last night with the aquarium pump and stone setup from Northern Brewer, pitched 2 packs of Safale S-04, and we have about an inch of krausen this morning already. I'm open fermenting this one in my 15 gallon mini-brew conical, so I'm not sure about bubbling. I'll post back in a few days as fermentation progresses.

No comments: