Friday, May 2, 2008

Pilsner IPA

I stopped by Kettle to Keg here in Pembroke, I had ordered 2 sacks of grain from him. Unfortunately, he was on vacation, and his fill in sold my sacks piecemeal to other folks before I could come pick them up. I stopped by yesterday and he told me the bad news. And, all he had left was pilsner malt. So, he gave me 10 lbs for free for my trouble, and re-ordered the sack of weyermans 2-row and marris otter for me. So, I am trying something completely new, and brewing an all-pilsner (almost) IPA. The recipe is shown below.
For 5.5 gallons, og of 1.064 at 80% efficiency.
10 # pilsner malt
1 # munich malt
0.5 # crystal 60 L
2 oz. roasted barley
0.5 oz Nugget at 60 min.
0.75 oz Centennial at 40 min.
0.75 oz Centennial at 20 min.
1 oz. Amarillo at 5 min.
1 oz. Amarillo at knockout
Fermentis US-56 dry yeast, 1 whirlfloc tablet at 15 min.
Est. SRM is 8.5, IBU=64
I've used this hop schedule before with success, including the Imperial IPA I made about 2 months ago which is aging (and dry hopping) in the basement.

No comments: